Monday, October 09, 2006

LCS Picks

Since my LDS picks were so amazing (completely wrong), I figured I'd let the world (hardly anyone) know what I feel about the upcoming LCS. Ryan made his picks on Victoria Times, so you can check his picks out and compare them to mine....maybe he'll have better luck than me

ALCS
Oakland Athletics vs. Detroit Tigers
How dare I retract my statements from August, where I declared Detroit the 2006 team of destiny. In my ALDS predictions, I completely wrote the Tigers off, claiming that they did not fulfill the destiny of last year's White Sox by hanging onto the AL Central Title and carrying that momentum into the playoffs. Apparently, they didn't need it. They staggered into the playoffs only the turn around after game 1 and crush the Yankees, who are quickly becoming the new Atlanta Braves. I just wonder if George Steinbrenner will start showing 2nd rate pro wrestling and crappy movies while the hosts cook lamely named meals on the YES network as well. The team I was quick to name the team of destiny, the Twins, did not play in the playoffs like they did down the stretch at all by making costly defensive mistakes and being impatient at the plate (I stole that from Ryan....I didn't actually watch any of the games because of work). So since I totally didn't expect these teams to be facing each other in the ALCS, I have no idea who is going to win. Both teams are pretty evenly matched with their decent pitching and timely hitting by a solid lineup from top to bottom. I never would have guessed 6 or 7 years ago that Frank Thomas would be facing Magglio Ordonez with a trip to the World Series on the line. Since my heart is still with Frank Thomas, and the A's have home field advantage because they were division champions, I'm leaning toward the A's in this series, especially if their pitching can perform the way the did against Minnesota. Plus, I think Detroit celebrated their win against the Yankees a little TOO much. I know its been 19 years, but uh, you still need to win 8 more games to have something real to celebrate, guys.
Pick: A's in 7

NLCS
St. Louis Cardinals vs. New York Mets
The Cardinals decided to come to life in the playoffs, proving me wrong yet again. The Mets looked much more impressive against the Dodgers than I would have guessed, despite their depleted pitching staff. The Cardinals have a stronger lineup to combat those Mets pitchers, but I think the Mets just have too much talent to not win this series and rightfully go to the World Series, since they are the only team that deserves it in the NL. I really could care less about the NL, and I'm pretty sure their champion will lose the World Series since the Yankees or Cleveland aren't going to be there this year (the last non-Cleveland or Yankees AL team to lose the World Series was Oakland in 1990), so since I want to go to bed I think I'll just leave it at that.
Pick: Mets in 5

Now check out Ryan's picks and see if we should be bickering like grumpy old men.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home